Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
by Betsy Carter
for 4 servings
12 oz spaghetti
3 cups shiitake mushroom cap, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup cashews, soaked overnight
¼ cup olive oil
⅓ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon paprika
fresh parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Toss shiitake mushrooms, oil, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Arrange mixture on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and continue baking for 7-8 minutes, or until mushrooms are crispy and brown.
- Cool mushroom slices on baking sheet.
- For the sauce, combine cashews, olive oil, garlic cloves, nutritional yeast, milk, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and paprika in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Drain water from pasta and return pasta to pot.
- Add the sauce and stir until pasta is well-coated.
- Mix in mushroom bacon.
- Top with parsley.